Wednesday, June 24, 2009

STAY!



My second interview here at Home Fires Burn is with Dog Boarder Sue Myall, if anyone knows about the fallout caused by abandonment it is her.

HFB: Sue
, you take care of pets while their owners away on fabulous trips and can't or more likely won't take their ever loving, loyal little buddies. Is that called a kennel or do you prefer boarding?

SM: I prefer boarding to kennel.

HFB: What's wrong with Kennel? Is that the canine equivalent of military school? making boarding more like junior NASA camp?

SM: Kennel is kind of like a prison compared to what I offer, a cage-less homelike environment.

HFB: Can you describe a typical day for one of the dogs at your boarding house?

SM: A typical day here is the same as they would be treated as if at home, lots of love and attention, probably more attention as they are with someone all the time, a great walk alone or with a group of dogs, and lots of playtime.

HFB: Do the dogs ever become indifferent to their owners after being left behind for so long, all the while dealing with rejection and low self esteem and maybe finally feeling a little bit better and no longer willing to put up with the neglect figuratively saying with barks and wags and growls, 'no, I won't go back with you, I can't put myself back there all over again' ?


SM: whether they are pissed with their owners or indifferent is it all depends. I have had some dogs that kind of just sniff their owners and act aloof, or go the opposite and go crazy as if they have been gone a decade, which worries me as I wonder if their owners think I have abused them.

HFB: Do the owners ever call to check in? to see what they've been up to, to have a talk with Rover, Boots, Mr Wigglebottom, Titan, or Chauncey?

SM: Some owners call to see how their doing, mostly they don't though.

HFB: Has an owner ever implied that they think you are stealing their dog away from them? Emotionally that is?

SM: I have had owners say they thought that their dogs preferred to be here instead. I always tell owners, "Oh they really missed you!" even if they didn't.

HFB: That is pretty considerate, letting people live their little lie.

When the owners return and try to buy back their dog's affections with treats would you say that they really looked around the canine boutiques for exotic snacks, fashionable collars, and trendy leashes or do they just tend to pick up any old thing at the airport giftshop?

SM: No they usually don't bring Fido back a gift..cheap eh!?

HFB: So what happens when you go away on holiday, do you send your dogs to one of your clients' places for a 'cageless environment'? or do you take your dogs on vacation?

SM: I don't go away, poor me.

HFB: Wow, are you ever in the right place! I'll have to have you back as a guest despondent!

SM: If I do go to someones cottage I take my dog with me...or a neighbour looks after her.

HFB: What would say is the most sought after dog resort or prestigious event globally from the dog community's perspective?

SM: Not sure about the prestigious events globally, perhaps one of the huge dog shows around the world would be one, and I know that LA has some very nice dog resorts for the rich and famous!

Most dogs just loving hanging with their pack(Owners), we the owners(leader of the pack) make more of a big deal with everything, and we tend to treat them like humans, when as you know their not! Some people dress them up, Paris Hilton for example, some let them lick their faces after they have licked their you know what.

HFB: You're right, anthropomorphism was more of a 2006 thing, we're onto the raw dog experience, dogs shall be dogs and whatnot... raw meat, barking, nudity.

Well thanks a lot Sue.



Sue Myall is a professional dog boarder, check out her services at:

http://smyall.webs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment